Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

MeteorBear's finished games

Mar 23 at 12:40:44 AM
MeteorBear (0)
< Kratos >
Arx Fatalis
I forgot I beat this one, unfortunately it was a few months ago so its not very fresh in my mind.
I was completely addicted to this game and completely enjoyed the underground world they created. Its more an RPG set in a dungeon where as a typical Dungeon Crawler is all about the combat. The plot is typical medieval fantasy stuff, not bad but nothing outstanding. The world though was very good with all these distinct groups staked out in different parts of the dungeon. The game really leans on old school WRPG's all the way, where they create a world where every thing messed with and let you play the game how you want. This can be overwhelming in larger world RPG's but it worked well in the dungeon setting.

Combat was good for a first person game, with the magic system being the highlight. The magic used a system of draw runes using the dpad that was both intuitive and easy to use. Many of the spells were utility type stuff to help you be a better thief.

The game had a lot of diversity too, towards the end you are stuck in one area with a demon hunting you that cannot be killed. I actually jumped out of my seat at one point the thing scared me so bad, he would kill you in one hit and you had to find your way out of a mine. Completely different from the rest of the game. If you are sneaking and there a lit area up ahead douse the torch with a spell, or splash a bottle of water on it to darken the area. Hungry? make some bread from flour, or pick pocket a guy for his house key, go to his house and steal his food, or go to his house and pick the lock on his door, or cast a pick lock spell. These are the kind of options you have through the game, everything can be picked up, thrown or stolen.

If I had one complaint is there wasnt enough combat. Sometimes I just wanted to explore gloomy dungeons and kill stuff but often there was quite a bit of solving people problems, most of which were unique and indepth, like getting the goblin king to admit you to his throne room. He is refusing visitors and only wants to eat his delicious pies. Every few minutes you see a goblin deliver the pies and shove them under the door. You also find a not that the Goblin King gets sick from wine, so you follow the goblin to his bakery and while he turns his back you combine some wine with the next pie hes making. When the Goblin King recieves his next pie he shortly comes running out of his locked throne room and heads to the bathroom. Now you can talk to him! There are no clues that this is what you need to do outside finding the doctors note that the Goblin King cant have wine.

The game has a lot of character, especially the Goblins and the Ogres, I wanted to just hang out with them for the whole game.

Apr 23 at 9:46:24 AM
estepan (0)

< Bandicoot >
Arx Fatalis is great. The atmosphere is perfect. This game is still quite difficult, but it is really very complete, given the number of hours spent playing it. The main quest is very successful, not to mention the many secondary quests.

Edited: 06/11/2019 at 04:32 PM by estepan

Apr 24 at 10:55:01 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Kratos >
Originally posted by: estepan

Arx Fatalis is great. The atmosphere is perfect. This game is still quite difficult, but it is really very complete, given the number of hours spent playing it. The main quest is very successful, not to mention the many secondary quests.

I completely agree! The atmosphere I think was my favorite, so well done. I read they released the game 6 months early, probably in fear of the huge shadow Morrowind was about to cast. Just think of the polish they could have done in those six months, which seemed to be the only thing the game really lacked.