Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Bubble bobble and rainbow island Ps1 Vs Saturn?

May 13 at 1:19:41 AM
vintage90s (0)

< Bandicoot >
So I want to get this game and have a ps1 and saturn but I'm not sure which to get. Anyone know any differences in them?

May 13 at 8:27:37 AM
hammerfestus (8)
< Kratos >
Ohio
I've never played it. But off the top of my head I'd say the ps1 version is cheaper and you don't have to deal with the inevitable broken Saturn case  

May 13 at 12:01:24 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Kratos >
You piqued my curiosity and I found this on an old forum.

"There are two slight differences between the PSone and Saturn versions:

1. The screen ratio on the Saturn version is closer to the arcade, whereas the PSone version is stretched horizontally to fill a 4:3 PAL 'window'

2. The earlier Saturn version has a maximum of 9 credits available per game, whereas (I'm guessing due to player feedback) the slightly later PSone version has 15 credits to share."

He also explained why this is the definitive version for me at least, its supposedly a port with a graphical upgrade to the original Atari ST version, which was my first experience with the game.

"The 1996 PSone and Saturn versions of Bubble Bobble are by Dave Broadhurst (Software Creations), and are pretty much direct ports of the Amiga version, which itself was a port of their own ST version.

All four are highly playable but far from arcade perfect, as I don't believe he had access to the code behind the complex and specific bonus mechanics. In fact, as per many other conversions of the day, the whole thing was probably recreated by playing the coin-op through on free play and copying by sight and feel."

May 15 at 3:41:20 AM
vintage90s (0)

< Bandicoot >
Oh cool thanks for digging that up for me I couldnt find anything when i googled it.

Hmm, makes me kind of want to get the saturn for the picture.. but depend on how hard it is I might want more credits.. decisions decisions.. lol

May 15 at 12:02:38 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Kratos >
For what its worth Ive always found the 15 credits to already be a very hard challenge to get to the end. I always play co op so maybe its different for one player. Either way its a gloriously brutal game, good luck!