Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Future of Playstation Collecting (Ps1) Where do you see the collector's market going in the future?

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:35:00 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
(Gimmick, Mr.) < Parappa the Poster >
Connecticut
I'm curious what everyone thinks about how the playstation collector's market is evolving and what it might look like over the course of the next 10 or so years. Do you think that the values of games will steadly increase, or has the market begun to reach its peak and level out?

Judging from the nintendo NES market, I suspect that playstation is only begining to really become collectable and the truly rare stuff is still very affordible when compared to the hardest to find games of other systems.

If I had to predict, I would say that as collectors become more educated and more people get into collecting playstation, the price of the obscure and rare stuff will steadily increase, while the price of popular yet common games will peak and level off. Those like ISS Pro Evolution, Goal Storm, Psychic Detective, etc. will likely increase in demand and become less available as collectors aim to complete their sets and obtain the rarest of the rare.

Games which are both obscure and in high demand  will fetch the highest prices, such as Tomba, Klonoa, some of the more obscure RPGs, Team Buddies, Adventures of Lomax, etc. 

Iconic games such as Gex, Spyro, Rayman, and of course Crash Bandicoot will achieve relatively high factory sealed values, along with the other games that defined the playstation and changed video game history.

I personally think we have yet to come close to seeing the peak of the playstation market, and it will be interesting to see where things go in the future.

What do you all think? Will playstation collecting come close to or even surpass the NES in collectability?

Edited: 09/06/2013 at 05:40 PM by Mr. Gimmick

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:41:24 PM
Minyaden (0)
< Baby Bandicoot >
Ohio
I agree with most of this, but I highly doubt it will surpass the Nintendo collectability. Nintendo has been a major player in video games for so long now almost everyone has grown up with some Nintendo console or another. I also feel like a lot of new collectors decide to start collecting Nintendo for the same reason, they have a lot of memories with the company. I do feel like Playstation collecting will rise a lot this next coming console generation.

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:18:00 AM
Mr Sega (4)
(Mr Sega) < Chrono Crosser >
United Kingdom
PS Collecting will never surpass it in my opinion.

I actively collect for the PS2 so it would be in my interest for prices to rocket lol however people are telling me that its such a great investment picking up all these games,i'm like c'mon, look at the PS1 market, its dead! So the PS2 market will not change.

Theres only about PS1 10 games which are high value and thats because they are RPGs apart from maybe Tombi.

Crash and Spyro are at so so prices at the moment but so easy to obtain.

The PS2 RPG's don't even sell for much so that explains it all if an RPG can't really gain any value lol, the only reason some PS2 games sell for a lot is because we as a community can jump on the bandwagon and mess the prices up.

For example, I paid £20 for Homura,
why? because it seemed to be the going rate and I couldn't be bothered to wait,
I bet if I waited I could find it for less than £10.

Another example, everyone hyped up Space Channel 5 Part 2 as being rare,
all these stories about it being pulled etc etc with no proof - just word of mouth,
so people started paying £50 per copy!!!!
Pointless, as I had loads in the last year which have cost me between £15 - £20 a copy.
If the game was pulled then it means that they still got produced and printed and are either still sitting in a warehouse or an ex employee has a stack of them at their home not knowing what they are worth. Some people probably threw the game away and used the case for their DVD's.

Look at the Sega Master System and Atari consoles and games, ain't worth a penny.

Its like, just because 1 person overpaid for something, doesn't mean its collectable or worth a penny, just means that someone like myself was impatient, lazy or made some extra cash to validate paying a high price.

The issue with PS2 is that they made a lot of copies of the games,
secondly they were available everywhere from video game stores to petrol/gas stations to food shops.

Also, with NES and SNES a lot of the boxes for the carts got damaged, therefore not many survived, therefore making it hard to find and therefore being deemed collectable.

Final point, is that there isn't really a PS community, this is probably the biggest forum for PS1 and PS2 and theres only a few active users (which I appriciate immensely),
as opposed to Nintendo Forums which are very active.

In addition to this, how many PS collectors do you see on You Tube compared to Nintendo or Sega collectors, hardly any

The Playstation and Xbox generation are different to the Nintendo and Sega generation of collectors. The newer generation (PS & XBOX) live in a disposible society and are very minimilist as opposed to Nintendo and Sega who are happy to hoard. I fall into both.

Its the difference between Records being worth money and cds being worth money, we all know theres very few cds worth anything.

Plus lots of stuff gets re-released and us as consumers don't get as attached to games as gamers back in the day as our social environment has changed, we have more forms of entertainment and distractions so the sense of nostalgia is a strange one to buy into.

This is all just off the top of the head as i'm in a rush, but still valid factors in my own opinion.

The point i'm trying to make is that none of these games are collectable and that we control the prices and have to find away at actually keeping the prices down so we can enjoy the actual game. People just need to network more, communication more and help each more.

Hope that made sense will explain more in detail next week if needed.

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:27:08 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
Connecticut
I've noticed that the UK and European collector's markets are quite different than over here in the states. I've been able to purchase some very rare PAL ps1 games for next to nothing, while US prices are still going strong and much higher than they were even a year ago.

Also the point about there not being a Playstation collector's community, there are tons of very dedicated playstation collectors on sites like digitalpress, VGMM, and Assembler but they seem to be scattered and not really brought together at one place or another. I remember a time when Nintendo Age had less than 100 members and NES collecting was still very much in its infancy. Now NA has thousands of members and the collector's community has nearly exploded over the course of 8 or so years.

Ps1 games that used to be obtainable for less than $5 are selling in the $30 -$40 range, and the most popular and sought after games are fetching in the 100s of dollars.

Edited: 09/07/2013 at 12:34 PM by Mr. Gimmick

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:51:23 PM
hybrid (45)

(jeff .) < Kratos >
Virginia
generally its hard to say which way the market for sony stuff will go. all we can do is hope that it remains thriving .
speaking of the weird and obscure i wonder where my errors would go value wise.

-------------------------

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:59:31 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
Connecticut
Errors and variants will always be desired simply for the weird/ unique curiosity factor and especially errors on popular games such as the FF VII misprint, etc. I really do think that PlayStation collecting is going to take off in a matter of a few years. Already prices are soaring above where they were a year or two ago, even during the months of July and August when sales are typically slow.

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:17:31 PM
hybrid (45)

(jeff .) < Kratos >
Virginia
don't even get me started with FF7. damn i sware if i see someone calling their masterpiece error rare... sorry i've been coming ebay for the two years i've been running my error thread and its flooded with that error. which is why i go after the bizarre data errors. typos and those type of misprints are common.

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:48:18 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
Connecticut
Yeah that error is insanely common, but it will always be sought after simply because it is Final Fantasy.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:33:01 AM
zigzagzarf (2)

(Deez Nutz) < Gran Tourist >
Ohio
personally i hope prices stay low since thats the only system i'm actively try to get a complete set for...

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:09:57 PM
MadMax86 (0)

< Jersey Devil >
Originally posted by: Mr Sega

I actively collect for the PS2 so it would be in my interest for prices to rocket lol however people are telling me that its such a great investment picking up all these games,i'm like c'mon, look at the PS1 market, its dead! So the PS2 market will not change.

Theres only about PS1 10 games which are high value and thats because they are RPGs apart from maybe Tombi.

The PS2 RPG's don't even sell for much so that explains it all if an RPG can't really gain any value lol, the only reason some PS2 games sell for a lot is because we as a community can jump on the bandwagon and mess the prices up.

all these stories about it being pulled etc etc with no proof - just word of mouth,
Pointless, as I had loads in the last year which have cost me between £15 - £20 a copy.
If the game was pulled then it means that they still got produced and printed and are either still sitting in a warehouse or an ex employee has a stack of them at their home not knowing what they are worth. Some people probably threw the game away and used the case for their DVD's.

Look at the Sega Master System and Atari consoles and games, ain't worth a penny.

Its like, just because 1 person overpaid for something, doesn't mean its collectable or worth a penny, just means that someone like myself was impatient, lazy or made some extra cash to validate paying a high price.

secondly they were available everywhere from video game stores to petrol/gas stations to food shops.

Also, with NES and SNES a lot of the boxes for the carts got damaged, therefore not many survived, therefore making it hard to find and therefore being deemed collectable.

Final point, is that there isn't really a PS community, this is probably the biggest forum for PS1 and PS2 and theres only a few active users (which I appriciate immensely),

In addition to this, how many PS collectors do you see on You Tube compared to Nintendo or Sega collectors, hardly any

The Playstation and Xbox generation are different to the Nintendo and Sega generation of collectors. The newer generation (PS & XBOX) live in a disposible society and are very minimilist as opposed to Nintendo and Sega who are happy to hoard. I fall into both.

Its the difference between Records being worth money and cds being worth money, we all know theres very few cds worth anything.

Plus lots of stuff gets re-released and us as consumers don't get as attached to games as gamers back in the day as our social environment has changed, we have more forms of entertainment and distractions so the sense of nostalgia is a strange one to buy into.

This is all just off the top of the head as i'm in a rush, but still valid factors in my own opinion.

The point i'm trying to make is that none of these games are collectable and that we control the prices and have to find away at actually keeping the prices down so we can enjoy the actual game. People just need to network more, communication more and help each more.

I agree but not 100%. On the PS2 there are a lot more games that are expensive. What do you think of the Atlus games? And the Collectors Edition of Persona 3 etc? They are like 200+ each....

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:18:56 PM
Dangerboy (0)
(Jason Dvorak) < Cloud >
Illinois
So long as it never becomes the murky, rat infested hell hole situation that NA turned the NES scene into, I think we'll be fine.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:32:56 AM
fritsjansma (5)

< Kratos >
Netherlands

THIS!

I have been collecting PS2 games for almost a decade now and i have noticed that most 'collectors' have absolutely no idea about rarity and just overpay for whatever game is hyped to be rare...

Don't know about the Sega Master System, but there are a bunch of Atari 2600 games that are actually worth quite some money. See for example http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250521/most-expensive-atari-...

Edited: 09/10/2013 at 03:36 AM by fritsjansma

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:58:56 AM
Nintendawg (3)
< Gran Tourist >
Australia
Originally posted by: fritsjansma

THIS!

I have been collecting PS2 games for almost a decade now and i have noticed that most 'collectors' have absolutely no idea about rarity and just overpay for whatever game is hyped to be rare...
I certainly overpaid a lot early on with many games when I started collecting. But back say 5 years ago basically everything was available on buy it nows, which made it very hard to decipher which were truly rare. So I ignored lots of them expecting to get them cheaper in the future. Only they never did. They just quietly disappeared. A couple of them I still don't have. Today it's far easier to get an idea on rarity than back when they were new.

Originally posted by MrSega

Plus a lot of the Nintendo collectors these days are trying to slowly work towards full sets. The sheer size of the Playstations library means more to track down and more storage space taken. So I guess less people will even attempt it in the first place.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:53:11 AM
Mr Sega (4)
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Mr. Gimmick

I've noticed that the UK and European collector's markets are quite different than over here in the states. I've been able to purchase some very rare PAL ps1 games for next to nothing, while US prices are still going strong and much higher than they were even a year ago.

Also the point about there not being a Playstation collector's community, there are tons of very dedicated playstation collectors on sites like digitalpress, VGMM, and Assembler but they seem to be scattered and not really brought together at one place or another. I remember a time when Nintendo Age had less than 100 members and NES collecting was still very much in its infancy. Now NA has thousands of members and the collector's community has nearly exploded over the course of 8 or so years.

Ps1 games that used to be obtainable for less than $5 are selling in the $30 -$40 range, and the most popular and sought after games are fetching in the 100s of dollars.

Hi,
Thanks for replying,
yeah, I guess the markets are at 2 polar ends (UK and US) pricewise.
if your looking for any PAL games give me a shout, might have something knocking.

I've not been onto Digital Prss and VGMM so will check those sites out - Thanks!,
Tell those guys to pop over here

I have been to Assembler and there only seem to be less than a handfull of PS collectors.

There shouldn't really be many PS1 games over $100 apart from Sealed items, Tron Bonne and Suikoden.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:56:42 AM
Mr Sega (4)
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: hybrid

generally its hard to say which way the market for sony stuff will go. all we can do is hope that it remains thriving .
speaking of the weird and obscure i wonder where my errors would go value wise.

I predict it will go down as once people go through their 'retro' stage the novelty will wear off, however majority of people disagree lol
I don't think errors and certain varients are worth much because they just take up space.
Stuff like that I only would have if it was cheap and it mainly for collectors who have run out of things to buy and want something quirky,
just my opinion - if its a choice of having an original or original was an error,
normal original all the way.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:57:47 AM
Mr Sega (4)
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Mr. Gimmick

Errors and variants will always be desired simply for the weird/ unique curiosity factor and especially errors on popular games such as the FF VII misprint, etc. I really do think that PlayStation collecting is going to take off in a matter of a few years. Already prices are soaring above where they were a year or two ago, even during the months of July and August when sales are typically slow.

If I do i'll be RICH!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahah

All down to Xed to start Marketing the site

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:03:12 AM
Mr Sega (4)
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: MadMax86

I agree but not 100%. On the PS2 there are a lot more games that are expensive. What do you think of the Atlus games? And the Collectors Edition of Persona 3 etc? They are like 200+ each....

Hi MadMax,

Welcome to PSC,
There are no PAL PS2 games worth over £100+ as far as i'm aware,
are you referring to imports?

Please let me know what games your referring to?

PS2 is extremely cheap to collect for at this moment in time.

Jon B and I have been searching for most games and have found in reality very few are rare.

If your looking for any games - give me a shout - Happy to help!

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:03:54 AM
Mr Sega (4)
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Dangerboy

So long as it never becomes the murky, rat infested hell hole situation that NA turned the NES scene into, I think we'll be fine.

LOL what happened over there? hahahahahha

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:05:18 AM
Mr Sega (4)
United Kingdom

THIS!

Don't know about the Sega Master System, but there are a bunch of Atari 2600 games that are actually worth quite some money. See for example http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250521/most-expensive-atari-...

Thanks for the Atari link,
interesting read

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:09:09 AM
Mr Sega (4)
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Nintendawg

THIS!

I certainly overpaid a lot early on with many games when I started collecting. But back say 5 years ago basically everything was available on buy it nows, which made it very hard to decipher which were truly rare. So I ignored lots of them expecting to get them cheaper in the future. Only they never did. They just quietly disappeared. A couple of them I still don't have. Today it's far easier to get an idea on rarity than back when they were new.

Originally posted by MrSega

Plus a lot of the Nintendo collectors these days are trying to slowly work towards full sets. The sheer size of the Playstations library means more to track down and more storage space taken. So I guess less people will even attempt it in the first place.

Hey Nintendawg!

Where you been man?

What are you missing?

Y'know, Jon B said something similar,
he said 'Man, these games might disappear!',
I started laughing and then I started noticing that a handful of games disappeared lol
I was like 'Ah d@mn!'

Jon B is going for full set PS2 wise,
i'm going for 3/4 set.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:12:54 AM
MadMax86 (0)

< Jersey Devil >

Hi MadMax,

Welcome to PSC,

Jon B and I have been searching for most games and have found in reality very few are rare.

Hi mate,

I mean the Atlus games like Persona 4 Limited Edition or Shin Megami Special Edition etc, they are very expensive and over 100 for sure (not PAL). And yeah a little help would be nice! If you have skype would be awesome!

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:33:12 AM
Mr Sega (4)
United Kingdom

Hi MadMax,

Welcome to PSC,

Hi mate,

I mean the Atlus games like Persona 4 Limited Edition or Shin Megami Special Edition etc, they are very expensive and over 100 for sure (not PAL). And yeah a little help would be nice! If you have skype would be awesome!

Hi MM,

Nah, not that expensive,
just have to be patient.

Are you referring to the item below;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Persona-4-PS2-Amazon-com-Exclusive...

If you are, then you can see that even at that price it only had 1 bid,
which means that if that person didn't bid then seller may have lowered the price.

Here's another link;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Digital-Devil-S...

No where near 100+

Just keep looking and networking with people and you will find lower prices.

Sorry, I don't have Skype.

Will check out your youtube channel later on in the week.

Talk soon

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:36:46 AM
MadMax86 (0)

< Jersey Devil >
Yeah send me a message on YouTube then we talk

Sep 11, 2013 at 6:46:11 PM
hybrid (45)

(jeff .) < Kratos >
Virginia

I predict it will go down as once people go through their 'retro' stage the novelty will wear off, however majority of people disagree lol
I don't think errors and certain varients are worth much because they just take up space.
Stuff like that I only would have if it was cheap and it mainly for collectors who have run out of things to buy and want something quirky,
just my opinion - if its a choice of having an original or original was an error,
normal original all the way.

ok couple things i'd like to point out you said errors 'just take up space' normal games just take up space too alot more than errors do and if the original was an error which was corrected then the corrected one would not be original. generally i do not buy both GH and BL and there is only one type of error i collect (data errors). i see your point about trying for a full complete set of games. why have a black label greatst hits and a white label and or 3 of the different long boxes of the same game. but thats why each collector is different.

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:08:00 PM
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Baby Bandicoot >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Dangerboy

Users currently logged in: 2 (PSC) vs. 109 (NA)

Less fish in the sea=Less fish poop.  

I prefer the small tight nit community, but for some reason, money attracts EVERYONE.  Enjoy it while it lasts. 

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...