Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

PS4 box art rapidly deteriorating

Sep 06 at 10:37:41 AM
warmsignal (0)

< Bandicoot >
I've noticed this problem for a while and it's getting worse of as of late with some of my games. It's primarily a problem with my PS4 games, most other libraries do not have this issue and I think it's due to the weak materials used to construct the PS4 boxes, especially the plastic sleeves. What happens is the sleeve on the case begins to form "slack" in it, exposing the paper cover artwork inside to the outside air. In my case, the outside air is a bit humid so then moisture becomes trapped between the artwork and the sleeve and ends up wrinkling the art to the point that it looks like a beat-up used copy.

This happens even to the my brand new still in the shrink wrap games as well. I have an unopened copy of Uncharted 4 and the artwork is already very wrinkled up, it looks bad. The worst one was a sealed copy of Puddy Squad, it looked like someone had stepped all over it. So I opened it up and took the artwork out, it was shockingly bad. Looked like someone dropped it in a puddle, stepped on it, and then dried it with a hairdryer. I'm gonna have to get rid of this copy, and maybe several of my copies and replace them all now. All besause the sleeve of the case had about a quarter inch of slack along the edges, exposing the artwork, essentially ruining them.

This happens to about every 4th or 5th PS4 game on my shelf. Even games that I've never opened, or haven't touched a whole lot. The sleeve developes slack, and the artwork ends up getting wet and bumpy. I also have some PS3 games that have done this as well, but for the most part, no other library in my game collection really does this. Granted, my house is a bit too humid as I don't have central air and I live in a somewhat humid climate. But I have to fault sony for using cheap materials on these. I've invested in plastic box protectors for all my game collection recently, but I don't know that this will actually protect them or not.

Is anyone else having this issue? Maybe there are some replacement cases out there for PS4 which will keep the artwork more secure than the official ones?

Sep 09 at 3:18:56 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I can't say I've had this issue... even the first PS4 games I've got all seem to be very stable. Are you placing your shelf or area you keep them near a window that has intense sunlight coming through? I've seen an independant shop that did this and the Sun has faded the colour on a lot of their covers.

I personally place all my games in protective packets, They're cheap I buy bundles of 100 for £5 & Now everytime I get a game I place on in a new sleeve:

This game in handy recently as one of my shelves had minor mould seeping through, which I was able to wipe of the sleeves with ease, but I'm glad it didn't make actual content with my games. I'd advise anyone collecting to do this really. They're available on ebay from a wide range of sellers.

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]

Edited: 09/09/2019 at 03:19 AM by Vivi-gamer

Sep 09 at 11:10:48 AM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
and you don't have this issue with ps2 games? usually older games have lesser materials. i mean ps2 boxes discolour faster than ps3 and upwards for example same goes for nintendo games

also if you really live in a to humid climate. if there is allot of water in the air it's kinda hard to keep that away. wether the materials are cheap or expensive art work will wrinkle up and get demolished it's not going to be that much of a difference aside from that it will take a bit longer when better materials are used. especially ps4 games are never in a bad shape such as ps2 so kinda shocking to hear that.

plastic containers will for sure lessen the problem but sounds like you've got to do something about your home being to humid sounds kinda rough. never had such issues personally. only seen such things in wich case people actually spilled drinks on the cover art or also on flea markets when it rained before hand when i spot games so that the cover art will soak up the moisture and become wrinkly when the rain has already ended some time ago. Your house must be super humid if it even affects ps4 games since those covers at least in my country had less suffering thanks to the rain to the cover art than ps2.

also the wrinkling you so speak off is it super noticable or do you really have to look for it.

In the cases i speak off it quite noticable but that means that quite some water has gone into the paper just like when people sell shortly after a rainy day or maybe a bit worse. show us some pics of those results I'm kinda interested to see the damage in for example the art work of that sealed game wich you opened since it sounds as bad as actually spilling a drink on the cover art wich is far worse than just being in a humid area after rain.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

http://vgcollect.com/sworddude...

Edited: 09/09/2019 at 11:23 AM by Sword Dude

Sep 09 at 1:01:25 PM
warmsignal (0)

< Bandicoot >
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

I can't say I've had this issue... even the first PS4 games I've got all seem to be very stable. Are you placing your shelf or area you keep them near a window that has intense sunlight coming through? I've seen an independant shop that did this and the Sun has faded the colour on a lot of their covers.

Actually I do notice the problem slightly in your copy of Velocity. Notice how the artwork has a slight wave along the bottom, and notice how the sleeve bows outward around the edge of the spine, instead of being snug? That causes the artwork to be exposed to the air. If there is anything in the air, that could conitune to damage the artwork. In my case, I believe there is some moisture in the air. So when this happens, my artwork wrinkles. I don't know what causes these sleeves to stretch out and expose the art, but it happens with games which are still in the factory shrinkwrap, so I don't think box protectors or bags would help.

I don't keep these games near a window, but other games which are do not have this problem. Here is a pic of what my PS4 and PS3 games have started doing. These were all bought new, and were mint conditon. I've even found sediment under the sleeves of a few of them.

https://i.redd.it/j80q7qtqr1l31.jpg
https://i.redd.it/3uauuflzq1l31.jpg
https://imgur.com/a/HPDs3Kp

Edited: 09/09/2019 at 03:42 PM by warmsignal

Sep 09 at 4:46:46 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
Seems kinda simular to worse results for games being found on a fleamarket when everything is wet from the rain the light wrinkle effect when your a bit to late.

It's fortunately not as bad as actually spilling water or drinks on the cover arts that will leave an ugly stain.

as far as spaces go with them plastic sleeves go. there are actually some ps2 games over here that always come in non snug cases. but fortunately no wrinkle damage since usually it's not super humid in the majority of houses over here. also with megadrive there are some games wich have plastic sleeves with some room left wich are not snug at all in comparison to the rest. some games always have the cases with more space left leaving the cover art to be a bit more exposed but that could also be the case because art work was never cut evenly back in the day and some art work does not fit in regular cases even if the boxes at first glance look the same. art work will be crushed in other boxes since the boxes don't have the space otherwise.

Hope you can fix your humid problems since otherwise new additions will also be damaged kinda pointless to buy them before hand Good luck

Sep 10 at 4:57:55 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < Cloud >
Illinois
Based on the pictures you provided, the issue is the area you are storing your games in, not the cases themselves. Wherever you are keeping your games, there is too much moisture in the air. I would invest in a dehumidifier or a new location.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Sep 10 at 6:53:00 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
i think a much cheaper solution is to get plastic containers in wich you store your games. plastic sleeves or box protectors won't keep the air out like them big plastic boxes do.

Edited: 09/10/2019 at 06:54 PM by Sword Dude