Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can A New Generation Embrace Shenmue III? It has been 14 years already...

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:11:49 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom

So, from the explosive E3 show this year we have finally the chance for Shenmue III to emerge from what just seemed like a hopeless dream. Shenmue III is alive, it is happening! & Just in 9 hours the kickstart project breached its first goal.

I am of course exstatic about this. I loved the original Shenmue games and it still remains the reason why I have the Dreamcast. However, asfter 14 years... I can apprecaite that there will be many gamers who simply have never heard for Shenmue and might not even be able to grasp what it is even after looking at a few videos of it. How can they go about this problem. I mean the obvious answer is a Shenmue HD Collection of 1 & 2 on the PS4 not only does it give newcomers a chance to fully embrace everything Shenmue has been it will also be a real treat for fans who no longer want to hook up their standard defition Dreamcast to their HD set ups. I mean The Dreamcast on Scart simply doesnt look good, yes I got get an expensive VGA set up, but the simple resolve of this is a HD Collection for old fans and newcomers alike.

What's interesting to note is that when the Dreamcast sadly tanked. Many of the games we're reissued as ports to other consoles. I'm not sure what the PS2 got, but the Gamecube got Skies of Arcadia & Sonic Adventure 1 & 2. The Xbox got Shenmue II, whats even more interesting about this release is that it has the english dubbing, the European release on Dreamcast never has this and I don't know if the US even got a Shenmue II... So I'm very surprised to see Shenmue III arrive on PS4 of all things. I would nhave thought it would have been a Xbox One/PC combo if anything.

My collection - Shenmue 1 is missing the Carboard cover but Shenmue II on Xbox still has the movie disc Just to give you an idea of the game releases so far.

Another intersting thing to note is that if we do get this game... I don't think it will be the last either!

This image gives you an indication of the the whole story which is set in 16 parts. Shenmue 1 is just one part (I know...) and then there is a brief story set between 1 & 2 where Ryo encounters a young girl on a boat - I can't quite remember the details of that I think it was in a comic? Then Shenmue 2 covers parts 3, 4, 5 & 6 so with 2 massive games we're not even half way through the story. Of course... the asbence of 14 years may have cause quite sine apprehension on the original vision. They might even have to make compromises but I read in an recent interview that there is simply no way that the conclusion of the saga can be condensed into Shenmue 3 alone.

For more details here is a wonderful site all things Shenmue which has been running for years Shenmue Dojo:
http://shenmuedojo.net/new/games/s3preview.html

Oh course, there is so much more to Shenmue than just the story alone. It really was such a groundbreaking game for the time. This is not to be mistaken for just another sandbox game, Shenmue is so much more than that. The world is simply alive. The envrionment and culture chances with the ingame calendar, they even went to the effort of capture the weather forecast of each day at the date in real life when the game is set. But it is not just in the weather you see the time of year change the spirit of the culture. Near Christmas time you'll see a costumed Santa as the snow falls. Still to this day I have not felt an open world game feel just so immersive and alive. Within your home you could interact with every little feature from light switches to cupboards, draws which often has objects you can use & I don't think anyone else can forget whacking out the Sega Saturn from beneath your TV Cabinet which you can win actual Saturn gamse to play in game. The depiction to detail in these games are simply Phenomenal. I hope Shenmue 3 offers this worldly experience over just being a means to complete the story.

What is also intersting is how the story feels like a huge investiagtion. But it is not like L.A. Noire where you have set cases the determination in Ryo is much bigger for a mystery which is on going and you can progress it at you own pace even with the dynamic world and calander system active. It's a really compelling mystery which only expands further with Shenmue II where it really feels like an adventure.

Who here as played Shenmue? Who hasn't I'm genuinely interested to hear what the community as whole thinks of this game and if it can realise the comeback.

The Kickstarter is active for 30 more days. I have already contributed to a digital version of the game on PS4. If they ever decide to offer a phsyical version I will gladly offer more. Here is what is going on with the Kickstarter page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]

Edited: 06/17/2015 at 07:31 AM by Vivi-gamer

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:58:32 AM
Gemini-Phoenix (0)
(Gemini Phoenix) < Tron Bonne >
United Kingdom
I personally believe it has been too long since the last installments, and I half suspect that we might see a Shenmue 1&2 HD release via PSN / XBLA to make Shenmue relevant again before we are blessed with a Shenmue 3. It's a game that is long overdue and fans have demanded closure for the storyline for years, but should really have been concluded on the PS2 or original Xbox

I do think that the game won't be as costly as the first two were in comparison - both were famously the most expensive games created at the time, and still rank high up on the list of most expensive, with the Call Of Duty titles and recent Grand Theft Auto titles at the top. I think it would have to have a sprawling open world environment on par with GTA V for it to appeal to a new generation of gamers and hardware.

Edited: 06/17/2015 at 01:55 PM by Gemini-Phoenix

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:11:56 PM
Tim81DE (3)
(Tim ) < Chrono Crosser >
California
Just a heads up, the first goal was met which will include short movies for S1/2, so an HD remaster isn't likely.

I also don't think it's even a question. The game's kickstarter (closing in on $3M in 2 days) and the reaction of the crowd provides the answer. People are stoked!

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:31:45 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
Paul F (10)
(PlayStation 2 ) < Tron Bonne >
England
Originally posted by: Tim81DE

Just a heads up, the first goal was met which will include short movies for S1/2, so an HD remaster isn't likely.

I also don't think it's even a question. The game's kickstarter (closing in on $3M in 2 days) and the reaction of the crowd provides the answer. People are stoked!

So excited for this, but why didn't they do a kickstarter earlier! Surley it would've had the same reaction

Come visit www.playstationage.com -  your Nintendo Age username and password will let you in

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:33:02 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
Paul F (10)
England
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

Ha we have exactly the same collection apart from I'm missing the Shenmue II sleeve and have the other one lol

Come visit www.playstationage.com -  your Nintendo Age username and password will let you in

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:11:06 PM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
I'm not really sure what all the hype is about. I guess they just assume everyone remembers the Dreamcast original and sequel (also on Xbox)?? To put out a third game without at least HD remasters of the first two is a little strange.

I've never played Shenmue or Shenmue II but from what I've read and looked at online, there isn't anything these games offer that other games don't already do better. If someone can inform me of what sets these games apart from everything else, I'd love to hear it. There's plenty of open world games with interaction and a good story so Shenmue III will need to have something unique to draw me in once it's released.

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:15:01 PM
dynastygal (14)
(Alex ) < Solid Snake >
United Kingdom
I'd love for a re-release of the first two in HD. I've only got the second on xbox as I don't have a dreamcast so I have no idea about the story really.

If not you, who? If not now, when?

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:28:10 PM
Tim81DE (3)
(Tim ) < Chrono Crosser >
California
Originally posted by: Paul F

So excited for this, but why didn't they do a kickstarter earlier! Surley it would've had the same reaction

Probably just to get a one up in the press conference at E3. It was just game after game for Sony. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:38:46 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom

Good call, I didn't notice that. The yalso say they have other surprises if the contations get high enough... I mean I have contributed already but the only way they're getting ay more from me is with the offer of a physical PS4 copy.

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:11:56 PM
profholt82 (58)
< Klonoa >
Michigan
I loved the first 2 games. I was a Sega loyalist throughout the 90s, so I had a Dreamcast during the first game's run and it is still one of my favorite games on the console. I think that an HD remake for the PS4 is probably inevitable at this point, if only due to all of the buzz surrounding the new one. You'd think SOny would take notice and realize that there is money to be made there. The prices of the original games have skyrocketed since the announcement.

Anyway, I don't have a PS4 yet (still so many great PS3 games that I haven't even played yet), but I'm getting closer to wearing down and buying one. Shenmue 3 will certainly be at the top of my list of games to get once it's released. I really hope they decide to put out a physical copy though.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:51:09 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: Paul F

Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

Ha we have exactly the same collection apart from I'm missing the Shenmue II sleeve and have the other one lol

Have them all cib with sleeves xbox version sealed yet I haven't played any of them yet

Pretty suprised when shenmue III came up for ps4 and pc.

I do know that there are allot of fans for the series and it is no suprise that the kickstarter was a huge succes 5 m won't be a problem at all.

But for the casual people out there I don't know if they would accept this game since if you did see the intro kickstarter trailer of shenmue III grapicly it is not that impressive for a ps4 game also the voice acting is a bit off also looks a bit old the overall movement, characters mouth movement etc surroundings look good though better than the older games obviously but this is ps4 era. Does give some charm of the older versions thanks to these flaws but still.

For fans of this series I don't think they mind since nostalgia etc.

What do you guys think might be wrong but I think they could make it more smoothly with movement voice acting etc. Grapic wise I think it looks pretty good voice and movement wise I think they should make some improvements but I've seen only so little of this game.

Also finally an ending for the main story wich was put on hold since shenue III was canceled for the dreamcast. I do not think there will be a shenmue IV since I think the original creator wants to finally put an ending to this series. All good things come to an end you shuold better keep it good than make several more games that are worse in quality. Maybe similar like games but not for the original shenmue series.

Here the kickstarter trailer check it out to see what I mean I hope they will improve it pretty curious.

https://www.kickstarter.com/proje...

Your Stylish Sword Master!

http://vgcollect.com/sworddude...

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:56:57 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
True, I wish they did have a better visual presentation of the game. I know it was just a mock-up for to present the game an the final product would be so much better. Certainly up to top PS3 standard at the very least.

I've heard that Yu Suzuki doesn't believe Shenmue III will be enough on it's own and depending how successful Shenmue 3 is will depend on a 4th game which could bring the conclusion. I welcome this as you see above there are still plenty of chapters to explore and I don't want Shenmue 3 have everything compressed to the point where it's just achecklist of events. I want it to flow naturally still. I can appreciate a 14 year gap would cause a slight change of pace... but I want the core of the story to keep at a decent pace still.

I hope the Kickstarter doesn't lose momentum. Of course the diehard fans have all poured out fo their pocket to make this happen but I still fear the gaem is not appealing to a modern audience still. Considering the rise in popularity of gaming within the last decade if they don't approach a modern audience and really show off what made the originals great and why a new Shenmue 3 is worth supporting - If they don't show this then I can't see it progressing as well as I've hoped.

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:58:06 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
They need 10m I don't think they will reach that amount since they barely have 3.7 m atm.

They might end up in the 5 M range if it keeps going this slow

Edited: 06/26/2015 at 12:58 PM by Sword Dude

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:03:50 PM
Soera (164)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
They just announced a physical PS4 version today : https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/...

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:34:40 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
Paul F (10)
England
Originally posted by: Soera

They just announced a physical PS4 version today : https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/088/729/1d999c6d5711747...

Yeah I saw that, the front cover looks a little...special?

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:47:05 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
YES! YES!

Ever so happy about this! It's something I have been pleading for on a daily basis & I'm thrilled we finally have the chance for a Physical PS4 Edition! Pledged right away! Gosh the day I get that through thge post..... just wow

Edited: 07/03/2015 at 04:49 PM by Vivi-gamer

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:28:10 PM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
If Shenmue III includes remastered versions of Shenmue and Shenmue II, I'm 100% sold! That would be the smartest marketing decison they could possibly make to promote the game IMO.

I mean c'mon, we all know why they released Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD and Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD. It's to bring KH to the modern age and refresh your memory on the back story BEFORE Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out!! Same should be applied to Shenmue III...why jump right into III without having played I and II in modern glory?!

Edited: 07/03/2015 at 11:31 PM by Gandlin

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:14:38 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
It is Martigan, I entirely agree and would welcome a HD Edition of Both 1 & 2. Just some upgrading to the aspect Ratio and Resolution, nothing more. Apparently Yu Suzuki is on good terms with SEGA so I'd be very surprised if this does now happen. If it doesnt happen with the Kickstarter it will later.

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:12:48 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Okay, I have upped my pledge for the last time, this really is all I can afford as I'll be scrapping it till next payday:

It does have an extra $10 postage but with that I will be getting:
A Physical PS4 Copy of Shenmue 4
A test Version on PC
A Hardback artbook
A nice T-shirt
Digital Soundtrack
A backer-only Advanced Technique Scroll
S3 WORLD TELECOM - In game feature to call previous characters from the series by phone
& My name in the credits as a back

That seems a hell of a lot more than what retail Special Editions are offering. While I may be low on money this month I am happy to do it
Following it on our twitter for the last week too If any other members from here are supporting let me know and I'll post it on there :
https://twitter.com/PS_Collecting...

Edited: 07/10/2015 at 06:15 AM by Vivi-gamer

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:47:13 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
We're approaching the end... barely 40 hours left:

The project has reached $5.1 Million today, I think we can be very proud with that. I'm genuinely grateful for everyone who has participated. if you haven't you still have time & There is so much on offer in the campaign but honestly, even just supporting with a PS4 Phsyical Edition would make aworld of diffrence. If you think you're going to buy it anyway upon release why not just support now?

I've also done PlayStation Collecting Service in supporting the KickStarter campaign on Twiitter, so much so I got a response from the voice actor of Ryo himself:

How cool is that

But the KickStarter is drawing to a close, there isn't much time so if you want to be involved in reviving a legendary franchise please help support Shenmue 3

Shenmue 3 KickStarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/proje...

PlayStation Collecting Twiiter Account - https://twitter.com/PS_Collecting...

Edited: 07/16/2015 at 02:47 AM by Vivi-gamer

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:41:09 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Also... turns out that if you're intending to wait and buy a Physical Edition upon release. that might not be available...:
http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/16/s...

Which is disappointing really, considering games like Putty Squad and Angry Bird Star Wars have Physical releases. Still, I've got mine guaranteed through the KicksSarter contribution If you want to safely guarantee a physical copy you've still got time through the KickStarter campaign.
Shenmue 3 KickStarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/proje...

Edited: 07/16/2015 at 01:42 PM by Vivi-gamer

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:17:12 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
Dang I'll have to think about getting it A physical copy for ps4 that is.

I mean with games as the new oldschool castlevania symphony of the night named: blood ritual of the night they have the slacker option to get a physical copy wich is exactly the same as the kickstarter version since they are still developing the game.

I think that shemue might also get a slacker option for people like me for at least till the 500 tier.

kickstarter went around 5,5 million and the funny thing is that the creator is the original creator of the 2d rpg castlevania games himselves since konami does not allow him to make oldscool castlevania games anymore but let's him make crappy 3d castlevania games.so he left and the castlevania game gained a new name with different characters but same concept

https://www.kickstarter.com/proje...

But I'll think about it little time left.

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:11:03 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
It's all over! Yes, it's all over!

Shenmue 3 managed to break the record for a Videogame campaign on Kickstarter with a total of - $6,333,295!

Genuinely proud to see the gaming community get back beind a game which is 15 years old. It's a game which is dear to my heart and just knowing I will be able to continue the saga one day gives me goosebumps! Ever so pleased.

As for BloodStained, I didn't really know of it when the KS campaign was up and running. As I mentioned before i find Castlevania a bit difficult to approache due to so many titles within the chornology. But a new spritiual successor sounds really nice. I just wasn't eager enough to pay $60 for the Physical Copy unlike I ame with Shenmue 3.

Oh.... and yes... I've reverted back the Twitter account theme now, so it's not plastered with Shenmue propaganda

Edited: 07/18/2015 at 11:13 AM by Vivi-gamer

Jul 18, 2015 at 9:41:35 PM
Soera (164)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
I backed both. I did the $60 PS4 for Shenmue and $100 for Bloodstained for this : A physical copy of the game for XBOX ONE, PS4, or STEAM (PC/Mac/Linux) featuring special backer-exclusive content and slipcase, plus a keychain, lapel pin, soundtrack CD (and digital album), a retro strategy booklet, and your name in the credits!

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:07:18 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Thanks for suporting Shenmue 3 Soera Glad to hear PSC members backing this.