Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

100 lesser-known PlayStation games that are worth trying out.

Mar 01 at 11:47:33 AM
electricmastro (0)

< Bandicoot >

I decided to divide these up according to genre:

Action-Adventure:

Akuji the Heartless

Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Herc's Adventures

Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman

Soul of the Samurai

Tail Concerto

Tail of the Sun

T.R.A.G.

Urban Chaos

Xena: Warrior Princess

Compilation:

A Collection of Activision Classic Games for the Atari 2600

Arcade Party Pak

Bubble Bobble also featuring Rainbow Islands

Buster Bros. Collection

Konami Arcade Classics

Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings

The Raiden Project

R-Types

Xevious 3D/G+

Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits

Fighting:

Battle Arena Toshinden 3

Evil Zone

Pocket Fighter

Psychic Force

Robo Pit

Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots Arena

Samurai Shodown III: Blades of Blood

Star Gladiator Episode I - Final Crusade

Tobal No. 1

Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style

Platformer:

Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time

Disney's The Emperor's New Groove

Jumping Flash!

Muppet Monster Adventure

Pandemonium!

Silhouette Mirage

SkullMonkeys

Spider: The Video Game

Spot Goes to Hollywood

Wild 9

Puzzle:

Ballistic

Blast Chamber

Crossroad Crisis

Hello Kitty's Cube Frenzy

Norse by Norsewest: The Return of the Lost Vikings

Roll Away

Star Sweep

Tall Infinity

The Next Tetris

Turnabout

Racing:

Demolition Racer

FoxKids.com Micro Maniacs Racing

Hydro Thunder

Motor Toon Grand Prix

Muppet RaceMania

NGEN Racing

RC de GO!

Rollcage Stage II

Streak: Hoverboard Racing

Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour

Role-Playing:

Battle Hunter

Chocobo's Dungeon 2

Dragonseeds

Jade Cocoon: Story of the Tamamayu

Kartia: The Word of Fate

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Saiyuki: Journey West

Thousand Arms

Torneko: The Last Hope

Vanguard Bandits

Shooter:

Assault Rigs

Critical Depth

Crusader: No Remorse

Gekioh: Shooting King

In the Hunt

Iron Soldier 3

N2O: Nitrous Oxide

Star Fighter

Tiny Tank

WarGames: Defcon 1

Sports:

Backstreet Billiards

BattleSport

Big Ol' Bass 2

Burstrick: Wake Boarding!!

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX: Maximum Remix

Hot Shots Golf 2

Pitball

Super Shot Soccer

Thrasher Presents: Skate and Destroy

XS Junior League Dodgeball

Strategy:

Carnage Heart

Dune 2000

Hogs of War

Nectaris: Military Madness

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire

Syndicate Wars

Trap Gunner: Countdown to Oblivion

The Unholy War

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat

Warzone 2100

Edited: 03/02/2018 at 01:18 PM by electricmastro

Mar 01 at 1:36:57 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Kratos >
Jumping Flash looks like a lot of fun but damn is it expensive. This and Bubble Bobble are pretty high on my to get list.

Mar 02 at 2:59:17 AM
electricmastro (0)

< Bandicoot >
Originally posted by: MeteorBear

Jumping Flash looks like a lot of fun but damn is it expensive. This and Bubble Bobble are pretty high on my to get list.

I've recently seen copies go between $10 and $30 loose, so it's not an issue now, is it?

Mar 02 at 1:11:44 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Kratos >
Buy loose?! Outrageous!!!

Mar 02 at 2:42:24 PM
electricmastro (0)

< Bandicoot >
Originally posted by: MeteorBear

Buy loose?! Outrageous!!!
lol

Mar 02 at 4:10:07 PM
alianger (0)
< Bandicoot >
Cool, maybe write a couple of sentences about each? Like what makes them unique for example.

-------------------------
My gaming site (mini-reviews, retro vmg tribute, romhacks, misc. lists): http://minirevver.weebly.com/...

Mar 02 at 4:32:38 PM
hammerfestus (7)
< Kratos >
Ohio
That's what I was thinking. Loose discs?! Perish the thought.

Funny thing, I picked up Jumping Flash for like $10 when I first started collecting long boxes and for the longest time I just assumed it was some cheap common title. Imagine my surprise.

Mar 02 at 6:32:16 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Are Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire * Emprorers new Groove decent then - I was always under the impression they'e rather miss than hit.

Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style is fantastic (Wu-Tang: Taste The pain in Europe) but I must say I always found Bugs Bunny & Taz: Time Busters MUCH better than Lost in Time - Mostly due to the addition of Co-op play in a platforming game!

Fun list to look through though, thanks for taking the time to do it.

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Mar 02 at 7:37:11 PM
electricmastro (0)

< Bandicoot >
Originally posted by: alianger

Cool, maybe write a couple of sentences about each? Like what makes them unique for example.
I thought to do those, but I thought that naming the games were enough and if people were that curious, then they'd research more about it themselves. Besides, I'm pretty mediocre at descriptions.

Edited: 03/02/2018 at 07:40 PM by electricmastro

Mar 02 at 7:39:24 PM
electricmastro (0)

< Bandicoot >
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

Are Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire * Emprorers new Groove decent then - I was always under the impression they'e rather miss than hit.
It's easy to brush off these two as shovelware, but taking a closer look, I didn't find these to be nearly as bad as one might thing at first glance. I was surprised at how much polish they had really.

Mar 03 at 8:59:08 AM
Dangerboy (0)
(Jason Dvorak) < Cloud >
Illinois
Spotted this when the list was on Reddit.

You know you're old when people think brand name, legacy title games like Raiden, Jumping Flash and Samurai Shodown III are "lesser known" games.

Mar 03 at 12:45:39 PM
electricmastro (0)

< Bandicoot >
Originally posted by: Dangerboy

You know you're old when people think brand name, legacy title games like Raiden, Jumping Flash and Samurai Shodown III are "lesser known" games.
Well, then I'll ask you, what do you think lesser-known is?

Mar 03 at 1:28:08 PM
Dangerboy (0)
(Jason Dvorak) < Cloud >
Illinois
Originally posted by: electricmastro

Well, for starters, they would probably games that never had sequels, or at most one. Plus be games that didn't appear on other systems outside of its generation. (Samurai Shodown as a series has been on Arcade, all Neo Geo branded systems and portables, Super NES, Genesis, Sega CD, PS1, Saturn, 3DO, Game Boy, Game Gear, PS2, Wii, Wii Digital, PS3 digital, and on and on. The first 4 games are on the Japanese PlayStation alone. To say a game with that much availability is a lesser known title is either preposterous, unresearched, ignortant, or a combination of all 3. Ignorance here isn't meant as a personal criticism - it's illustrating an opinion with no basis has been thrown to the masses. That's fairly dangerous, as it's the same reason a YouTuber calling a game a "Hidden Gem" when it clearly isn't makes you pay more for said game when you shouldn't be. 

On the opposite hand, there's also games like Akuji, which while it was only one game, was advertised on practically every other demo disc and Eidos release around that time (and yes, I know I'm 20 years removed from this admission). 

The comment was pointed at a handful of games on the list, not the entire presentation. While obviously I can't read into text on a web page, the inflection in your request seemed like I was against the whole list; which I wasn't. In a more modern context, it would be like having a list of 100 Lesser Known PS4 titles and having Tomb Raider and Mass Effect Andromeda on there.

Some of those games *are* lesser know, and are brilliant additions and should be tried by everyone. Excellent examples include Blast Chamber (4 Player for best results), Spider: The Game, Crossroad Crisis (I'ts a cute version of Pipeworks), and Carnage Heart. Christ, especially Carnage Heart. If I were to replace my three examples, it would be swapping in Kensei for Samurai Shodown III, Starfighter Sanvein for Raiden Project, and maybe Floating World Runner for Jumping Flash. JF is a far superior game, but FWR is a far lesser known game. 

I actually discuss Sanvein in detail here:

It's one of the best $10 purchases you'll ever make. 

There's some other minorly questionable games on the list, but only if you're an old geezer like I am.  

Edited: 03/03/2018 at 01:33 PM by Dangerboy

Mar 03 at 2:36:58 PM
electricmastro (0)

< Bandicoot >

Originally posted by: electricmastro

Well, for starters, they would probably games that never had sequels, or at most one. Plus be games that didn't appear on other systems outside of its generation. (Samurai Shodown as a series has been on Arcade, all Neo Geo branded systems and portables, Super NES, Genesis, Sega CD, PS1, Saturn, 3DO, Game Boy, Game Gear, PS2, Wii, Wii Digital, PS3 digital, and on and on. The first 4 games are on the Japanese PlayStation alone. To say a game with that much availability is a lesser known title is either preposterous, unresearched, ignortant, or a combination of all 3. Ignorance here isn't meant as a personal criticism - it's illustrating an opinion with no basis has been thrown to the masses. That's fairly dangerous, as it's the same reason a YouTuber calling a game a "Hidden Gem" when it clearly isn't makes you pay more for said game when you shouldn't be. 

On the opposite hand, there's also games like Akuji, which while it was only one game, was advertised on practically every other demo disc and Eidos release around that time (and yes, I know I'm 20 years removed from this admission). 

The comment was pointed at a handful of games on the list, not the entire presentation. While obviously I can't read into text on a web page, the inflection in your request seemed like I was against the whole list; which I wasn't. In a more modern context, it would be like having a list of 100 Lesser Known PS4 titles and having Tomb Raider and Mass Effect Andromeda on there.

Some of those games *are* lesser know, and are brilliant additions and should be tried by everyone. Excellent examples include Blast Chamber (4 Player for best results), Spider: The Game, Crossroad Crisis (I'ts a cute version of Pipeworks), and Carnage Heart. Christ, especially Carnage Heart. If I were to replace my three examples, it would be swapping in Kensei for Samurai Shodown III, Starfighter Sanvein for Raiden Project, and maybe Floating World Runner for Jumping Flash. JF is a far superior game, but FWR is a far lesser known game. 

I actually discuss Sanvein in detail here:

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tus..." width="500">>

It's one of the best $10 purchases you'll ever make. 

There's some other minorly questionable games on the list, but only if you're an old geezer like I am.  

I felt that Samurai Showdown III was lesser-known as, while it has been those platforms, it hasn't received any sort of new entry since 2008 I believe for one. It's not 100% obscure, but I guess it's because I hear other PlayStation fighting games such as Soul Blade, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Tekken brought up many, many times, and have never heard Samurai Showdown III brought up once is what lead me to that conclusion, and I'm sure many other people can understand why I felt that way. As for the other games you've mention, I felt that Floating Runner: Quest for the 7 Crystals, Kensei: Sacred Fist, and Starfighter Sanvein were a little too flawed for me to want to put them on the list.

In the end, I think that everyone has a different viewpoint as to what lesser-known game is. I've even seen games like Ape Escape be called lesser-known, even though I recall that one getting a Greatest Hits label. Quite frankly, I just wanted to share my knowledge of games I felt were worth playing, even if I know I'm mediocre at descriptions/wording. I'm just happy enough to be able to express my passion for gaming, and that one of the gifts a game lover can give another is the title of a wonderful game they have not yet discovered, which is what I aim to do, like with my list I feel content with and don't feel like it needs altering, at least for now. Thanks for the reply too.