Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

PS1 PAL - Rarest & Most Expensive games List

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:15:56 PM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Hi Playstation mates,

Today decided to share with you two lists of what i think are the rarest & most expensive PAL titles out there.
Talking specifically about english (only or with other multi languages) version complete copies with all the extras (other versions or incomplete copies are not taken into account). All lists are set in no particular order.

Rarest games: The hardest to find for sale (doesn’t mean they are the most expensive PS1 games out there)

GTA Double Feature
Parodius
Time Bokan Yattaman
Hellnight
Blue’s Big Musical
Rapid Reload
Herkules
Primal Rage
Cindy's Fashion World
Ballistic
Goal Storm 
Buttsubushi
World league Basketball
Frank Thomas Big Hurt baseball
Sonic Wings Special
Detective Mouse
Gekioh Shooting King

The most expensive games: You see them sometimes for sale but always with high prices (doesn’t mean they are the hardest to find PS1 games)

Tintin: Destination Adventure (forgot to mention this one is a mix between rarity and high price)
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Mega Man games
The Misadventures of Tronbonne
Star Ocean The Second Story
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Tombi!
Tombi! 2
Legend of Dragoon
Clock Tower
Hebereke's Popoitto
Herc’s Adventures
Chocobo Racing

What you think about the accuracy of those lists? Share your opinion aswell!

PS: Titles like Kula World, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, The Note, Team Buddies, etc. are not in the expensive games list because they already got sold multiple times at low/medium prices.

Best Regards

Edited: 05/14/2018 at 05:03 PM by PS1GamerCollector

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:48:27 PM
motordead (0)
< Kratos >
Portugal
I've seen Team Buddies sold constantly with prices over Clock Tower, but I'm not always looking.

You should add HERKULES (with a K, not Disney's) to the Rarest Games list. Also I don't count most of these "Rarest Games" as super rare, because you can always find most of them on an eBay search with 3-4 complete copies for sale at any given time, regardless of the prices, stupid or not. There are other ones I can add to that list if you want, like Real Bout - Fatal Fury, King of Fighters '95, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Iron Man X-O Manowar, but they're as "rare" as some you put on that list.. Games you won't find on most bundle lists and yard sales for quite some time.

-------------------------
PlayStation PAL Completionist - SEGA Mega Drive & Saturn Collector
Proud player of NES, SNES, SEGA Mega Drive, SEGA Saturn, SONY PlayStation, Nintendo 64, SEGA Dreamcast, SONY PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube

Always on the lookout for: Press Kits, Limited Editions, Rare CIB Hardware, Store Promo Items - Up for trades! Send PM

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:16:25 PM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: motordead

I've seen Team Buddies sold constantly with prices over Clock Tower, but I'm not always looking.

You should add HERKULES (with a K, not Disney's) to the Rarest Games list. Also I don't count most of these "Rarest Games" as super rare, because you can always find most of them on an eBay search with 3-4 complete copies for sale at any given time, regardless of the prices, stupid or not. There are other ones I can add to that list if you want, like Real Bout - Fatal Fury, King of Fighters '95, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Iron Man X-O Manowar, but they're as "rare" as some you put on that list.. Games you won't find on most bundle lists and yard sales for quite some time.

That Herkules is really rare because the only info i can find of it is a image that was posted here in the website...
I would love to see what the game is about
All PS1 games can be found one way or another you are absolutely right. That's one of the reasons why making a 100% accurate Rarity list is almost or simply impossible...
About the other games you mentioned it's the first time i heard of Iron Man X-O Manowar.
It's impressive how after so many years of collecting we find something new to look at

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:00:27 AM
motordead (0)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Don't expect too much, like Blue's Clues it's a kids educational game, only worth for its rarity.

PlayStation PAL Completionist - SEGA Mega Drive & Saturn Collector
Proud player of NES, SNES, SEGA Mega Drive, SEGA Saturn, SONY PlayStation, Nintendo 64, SEGA Dreamcast, SONY PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube

Always on the lookout for: Press Kits, Limited Editions, Rare CIB Hardware, Store Promo Items - Up for trades! Send PM

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:26:56 AM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: motordead

Don't expect too much, like Blue's Clues it's a kids educational game, only worth for its rarity.

Yes, you are right once again. I mentioned the Herkules game to another collector yesterday and he said that this game is a very basic puzzle game with painting gameplay or something... I guess the desire to know more about this game is damn gone

PS: Herkules added to the Rarity list...

Edited: 11/15/2015 at 05:28 AM by PS1GamerCollector

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:17:01 AM
The Gentleman (7)
(Oliver ) < Cloud >
United Kingdom
These are good lists. I'd add Primal Rage to the rare list. Trying to find a PAL copy of that is a painful experience.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Herkules. I have everything else on the lists. My OCD will now demand that I have all of them.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:42:14 AM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: The Gentleman

These are good lists. I'd add Primal Rage to the rare list. Trying to find a PAL copy of that is a painful experience.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Herkules. I have everything else on the lists. My OCD will now demand that I have all of them.

I will add Primal Rage aswell to the list then!
Btw i heard that Herkules is a painting or something game so my guess is that your OCD will not give you a gem this time haha
I wish you the best of luck in hunting it down.
Best Regards

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:57:40 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
Paul F (10)
(PlayStation 2 ) < Tron Bonne >
England

Ha I know that feeling too well

Especially the "I'm on top of the rare games list" feeling, and then "oh no, need that one.."

Come visit www.playstationage.com -  your Nintendo Age username and password will let you in

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:09:07 AM
beyre83 (1)
< Kratos >
England

also don't forget these 2 Phoenix PS1 Games

Cindy's Fashion World (is the rarer of the two titles tho)
Cindy's Carabean Holiday

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:31:59 AM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Hahaha! Oh well i will just add Cindy's Fashion World without even bothering to write a proper comment about those games mate.

Thanks for your help

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:38:35 PM
leafmonkey (0)
< Bandicoot >
Sweden
lol, I got that Herkules game. It´s just another crappy "Cartoon Film, Jigsaw puzzle, Colouring book" title from Phoenix =) didn´t knew it was that rare!

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:56:49 PM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: leafmonkey

lol, I got that Herkules game. It´s just another crappy "Cartoon Film, Jigsaw puzzle, Colouring book" title from Phoenix =) didn´t knew it was that rare!

Damn mate you are one very lucky collector! ;D
It's a shame that the game isn't that great at all but oh well... painting in a videogame can be entertaining for a kid so it's all good

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:56:01 PM
leafmonkey (0)
< Bandicoot >
Sweden
Yeah, it seems like it was a winning concept since they produced alot of these kind of games

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:59:05 PM
SHLIMPOLE (2)

< Cloud >
i beleive herkules is the same game as its ps2 sequel as seen here

where as its a rare game, phoenix are a company that only collectors know of, and are happy to pay great ammounts for it......unfortunately this also means that not many ppl are looking on ebay for it, and u all missed the one that sold last week for £1.75.

Check out my PS2 and Retro Gaming channel on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNZylG5ZROX7uhBo-GjnHqg

Jump straight to the Phoenix Games Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL6TPX2q8tWS_jjFUveVL...

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:49:58 AM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: SHLIMPOLE

i beleive herkules is the same game as its ps2 sequel as seen here
allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iQt..." width="500">>

where as its a rare game, phoenix are a company that only collectors know of, and are happy to pay great ammounts for it......unfortunately this also means that not many ppl are looking on ebay for it, and u all missed the one that sold last week for £1.75.

Well, i never owned or played PS1 games of Phoenix so i guess that's why i didn't know about it...I was like how it's possible that there isn't any info, not even a video on youtube about Herkules but i guess that it's understandable now...

And you right, a collector that really wants to own pretty much everything in his/her collection will need to know every "obscure" company and all the stuff that it needs to be found made by it

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:54:19 AM
SHLIMPOLE (2)

< Cloud >
i own every phoenix ps2 game, they are the reason i started collecting ps2. the games are so bad you have to love them lol.

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:20:15 AM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal

i own every phoenix ps2 game, they are the reason i started collecting ps2. the games are so bad you have to love them lol.

This company in terms of bad games reminds me of the company "Midas Games". Tons of awful and poorly designed games.
I played a few games of Midas like All Stars Racing and Hybrid and god they are awful. My collection has all my childhood games but damn, i ain't gonna keep those
BTW Hybrid was my first ever experience with a FPS shooter game and it's one of the reasons i never got into another one... the other reason is because im not really a fan at all of the genre
But well like you said, you need to be in some wonderful and eternal love with them in order to be able to play them without getting bored/angry...

Edited: 11/19/2015 at 05:22 AM by PS1GamerCollector

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:38:34 AM
SHLIMPOLE (2)

< Cloud >
the chairman of phoenix was  previously the chairman of midas sports division

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:57:41 AM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal

the chairman of phoenix was  previously the chairman of midas sports division

Now it's everything explained! We busted the bastard right here hahaha

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:25:50 PM
Gemini-Phoenix (0)
(Gemini Phoenix) < Tron Bonne >
United Kingdom
I think we need a similar thread to the NTSC Running Totals thread, but for PAL titles. However, I think certain criteria should be established for a game to be included, or else the list would just be an endless page of budget shovelware titles by Phoenix and Midas...

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:04:39 AM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: Gemini-Phoenix

I think we need a similar thread to the NTSC Running Totals thread, but for PAL titles. However, I think certain criteria should be established for a game to be included, or else the list would just be an endless page of budget shovelware titles by Phoenix and Midas...

Indeed, it's a great idea! I also wonder what games could really make the list... I guess it would be fun to found out.
I don't understand why this time i didn't get any notification on my email about a new post on my thread but anyway, hope someone is gonna make us proud!
Best Regards 

May 4, 2016 at 7:08:16 PM
DarkTone (2)

(GameCube King) < Bandicoot >
United Kingdom
What R is Hellnight? Nothing is showing in the database.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

May 5, 2016 at 2:50:45 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
Paul F (10)
(PlayStation 2 ) < Tron Bonne >
England
R as in rating? It's teen in the US so no rating here 

Come visit www.playstationage.com -  your Nintendo Age username and password will let you in

May 5, 2016 at 1:44:08 PM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: DarkTone

Like Paul wrote, im not sure if you are referring R as age rating. If so, it's written in the back cover of the game that is for ages of:

3-10 X
11-14 X
15-17 ✓
18+ ✓

Interesting thing though that in the portuguese sale sticker it says 12+ so it's being a contradiction to the cover. I myself also think that 12+ is a OK age to play Hellnight but if the cover says 15+ well... It's 15+ end of story.

If you are referring R as Rarity, i have no idea the exact rarity of the game... Retrocollect website gave Hellnight a Uncommon rarity stat but i highly doubt that is just that.

May 7, 2016 at 7:41:59 PM
DarkTone (2)

(GameCube King) < Bandicoot >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: PS1GamerCollector

Originally posted by: DarkTone

Like Paul wrote, im not sure if you are referring R as age rating. If so, it's written in the back cover of the game that is for ages of:

3-10 X
11-14 X
15-17 ✓
18+ ✓

Interesting thing though that in the portuguese sale sticker it says 12+ so it's being a contradiction to the cover. I myself also think that 12+ is a OK age to play Hellnight but if the cover says 15+ well... It's 15+ end of story.

If you are referring R as Rarity, i have no idea the exact rarity of the game... Retrocollect website gave Hellnight a Uncommon rarity stat but i highly doubt that is just that.

Damnit! Just saw this. Thanks.

With Dain's say, I need to look into the rarities on here.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here