Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

PS gamer award Need suggestions to get 25 series

Apr 18 at 10:56:38 PM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
The last part of the Playstation age version of forum icons is the Playstation Gamer award. Similar to the Sega Gamer award, its to show loyality to the Playstation brand by supporting the series that are iconic to the systems.

So far I have a decent start with the following :
Spyro
SOCOM
God of War
Crash
GTA
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Ratchet and Clank
Tekken
Final fantasy
Gran Turismo
Uncharted
Twisted Metal
Jak and Dexter
Yakuza
SMT/Persona
Suikoden
Little Big Planet
Kingdom Hearts
Dark Souls
Sly Cooper

Edited: 05/01/2017 at 12:38 PM by Soera

Apr 19 at 2:31:15 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I'm still not understanding the concept of this award? Do we just need to have one title of each series mentioned? if so other suggestions:

Devil May Cry
Yaluza
Persona
Star Ocean
Suikoden
Resistance
KillZone
Jak & Daxter
Medievil
Wipeout
Rayman
Wild Arms
Project Zero
Shadow Hearts/Koudelka
Drakengard/NieR
Sly Cooper
Onimusha
Kingdom Hearts
Team Ico Games - ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian
Quantic Dream titles - Fahrenheit/ Project Indigo, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls

All these titles have mostly been on PlayStation. I think we just need to outline the PRECISE intention with this award, what it will be and what memebers need to show to obtain it.

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Edited: 04/19/2017 at 03:08 AM by Vivi-gamer

Apr 19 at 7:44:11 AM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
Yes just one of each title.

Apr 19 at 9:27:23 AM
startyde (3)
(Jon P) < Bandicoot >
United States
Guilty Gear
Blazblue
Warhawk / Starhawk
Souls Series

Apr 19 at 11:44:26 AM
TDIRunner (10)
< Kratos >
Illinois
If you are going to make it like the Sega game award over at NA, you would have ONE game for every major franchise that is dedicated (or nearly dedicated) solely to PlayStation. I say "nearly" dedicated because just about every series has some type of portable games out on either the GBA or DS/3DS line.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Apr 19 at 12:02:30 PM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
Yep thats what it is. As long as you have one title for each of the ones listed on the award, you qualify for the award.

Also a few of the suggestions are fitting. I think Yakuza could work even though its actually made by Sega. Persona is viable as is Suikoden. I think Jak and Dexter belongs, not sure why I didnt think of that one.

Ill leave this up for a few days and hope others respond. Ill tally up the numbers at the end and the ones with the most votes will get in.

Apr 19 at 5:07:57 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Bandicoot >
From Software games, which is pretty much Kings Field, Armored Core and the Souls games.

Also Shin Megami Tensei instead of Persona, since Persona falls under that umbrella.

Apr 20 at 12:01:59 AM
Tim81DE (2)
(Tim ) < Chrono Crosser >
California
LittleBigPlanet
LocoRoco or Patapon
Ridge Racer

Just suggestions

Apr 22 at 6:46:12 PM
hammerfestus (7)
< Kratos >
Ohio
Ridge racer
Resident evil
Metal gear solid
Final fantasy
Crash bandicoot
Ratchet and clank
Suikoden
Wipeout
Spyro
Silent hill
Tomb raider
Tekken
Twisted metal
Gran Turismo
Devil may cry
God of War
Soul Caliber
Ace Combat

May 02 at 3:10:37 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Went through everyones lists and counted where we are at:

Spyro, 2, 3
God of War, 2, 3
Crash Bandicoot, 2. 3
Suikoden, 2, 3
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3
Silent Hill, 2, 3
Resident Evil, 2, 3
Tomb Raider, 2, 3
Ratchet and Clank, 2, 3
Tekken, 2, 3
Final Fantasy, 2, 3
Gran Turismo, 2, 3
Twisted Metal, 2, 3

Jak and Daxter, 2
Yakuza, 2
SMT/Persona, 2
Uncharted, 2
Little Big Planet
Kingdom Hearts, 2
Dark Souls, 2
Sly Cooper, 2
Devil May Cry. 2
Wipeout, 2
Ridge Racer, 2
Soul Blade/Calibur Series, 2
GTA, 2

SOCOM
Star Ocean
Resistance
KillZone
Medievil
Rayman
Wild Arms
Project Zero
Shadow Hearts/Koudelka
Drakengard/NieR
Onimusha
Team Ico Games - ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian
Quantic Dream titles - Fahrenheit/ Project Indigo, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls
Guilty Gear
Blazblue
Warhawk / Starhawk
LittleBigPlanet
LocoRoco or Patapon
Ace Combat
Gravity Rush
Ape Escape

if you see something you want to support just reply with the game title and 1+ next to it people   -There may be titles that you assumed were in, but we're adding a vote to each title so the more support the title get the better chance it gets in! Or you can still vote for something new entirely  

Edited: 05/02/2017 at 03:12 AM by Vivi-gamer

May 02 at 9:23:07 AM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
I sent in my list last night. I updated the OP here to reflect the list.

May 02 at 7:22:31 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I see, I just didn't realised that was a finalised list   I think it's a great list so far, I've been sitting here and nit-picking through it for a good hal an hour, thoughts:

inFamous for Sly Cooper - I think Sucker Punch needs to be presented in this list for sure, however, as good a Sly is I think inFamous is equally a good series but also offers a slice of variety to the list - This is coming from somen who even prefers Sly.

Take out Kingdom hearts - This is a hard one, I love the series myself, but when you consider their spin-off route with main series game jumping from GBA, DS & 3DS giving them a slot on the list seems a bit unfair. I know other series spread out onto other consoles but I feel KH really suffered from this. I love the series, I really do but I think their are more loyal PlayStation series that deserve a mention here - A counter argument would be the HD ReMix titles, valid as it is, I still think Kingdom hearts ropey road of spin-offs should be considered.

Little Big Planet ? - I know it's a big PS series... but do we really want it there - It only got one vote, while i see other candiates which got more.

Jak & Daxter - Another one I love but we already have 2 other entries from Naughty Dog, I think having Uncharted & Crash Bandicoot have a nie variety, but J&D feels sort of a transition between the too, while a PS loyalist, I think it might be worth droping for something else.

Gravity Rush - There aren't many new series on that list, reason being it is hard for a new IP to break through and compete with a series with years behind its belt, but I feel Gravity Rush is the closest candidate to represent a new age of gaming. going from Vita to being remastered on PS4, then getting it's own PS4 sequel I think it's one of PlayStations biggest, newest IP's.

WipeOut - A big series for PlayStation which has been very loyal, the Omega Collection prooves how it is still consitent in this, with titles on eevry PS console, I think it is worth consideration.

KillZone or Resistance - I have no problems with either, but looking at the list their isn't a First Person Shooter representative - and we have some good ones! I'd say these two would be the ones worth considering. If I had to choose, while I like Resistance more, I'd say KillZone is thebetter choice for spreading out on more systems.

I also still think Team ICO & Quantic Dream should be represented, however, I can't see anything to subtract to put them in for.

EDIT: Counting the games in the OP list, there are cuurently 23/25... so with two additional placements I'd suggest the two I mentioned above

So in summary suggesting Swap:

Sly Cooper -for- inFamous
Kingdom Hearts -for- Gravity Rush
Jak & Daxter -for- Killzone (or Resistance)
Little Big Planet -for- WipeOut
with 2 spaces left (23/25), I'd include the addition of a Team Ico title (ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last guardian) title & Quantic Dream title (Fahrenheit/Project Indigo, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls)

I think that leads to a very solid list.

EDIT- Also, thinking on Suikoden, I'm concerned as it is certainly a niche series which can be difficult to get your hands on that this might catch many people out, so it might be worth considering dropping - personally I have 4 & 5 boxed and 1-3 on digital so I'm not speaking for my own concern with this but I could see this annoying someone who is not into JRPGs - we already have Persona & Final Fantasy too, just think it's worth mentioning. Could be replaced by the 'Tales of'series if your wanted another JRPG or of course something else form the list of suggestions above.

Also, have to really question in the Souls series is valid, I say this because beyond Demons Souls, the following 3 titles aren't PS exclusives, doesn't seem right giving that a place when you have something like Onimsuha which not counting a redundant GBA game is renown for being a PS2 classic (as far as I know Onimsuha 1 was later ported to Xbox and 3 to PC).

Edited: 05/02/2017 at 11:00 PM by Vivi-gamer

May 03 at 10:07:25 AM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
I picked the titles that the average gamer would consider PS when asked "What do you think of when you hear the word Playstation?" Which is what the whole award is about. Ive never seen nor honestly really heard about anything on that Quantic Dream whatever. The Team Ico thing is very single title specific. If I was going to add a title just to cover fps, it would be Call of Duty. Kingdom hearts may have other titles on other consoles but KH 3 is going to be PS4 and its probably in the top 5 of the most anticipated games and a big reason a lot of people will be owning a Playstation system.

Playstation is known for its JRPGs.

I figured it would be possible some people wouldnt totally agree with my list. Hell, I dont even qualify for my own list cause I dont do retro gaming anymore and Sly Cooper and Jak & Dexter have never made it into my collection. I would however not be opposed to adding 2 more titles to make it to the 25 level but when I was looking at all this the other day, I just didnt see anything else to me that made sense on this list.

May 03 at 1:58:03 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I never said I didn't agree with the list, I said it was actually a very good list - Which it is. However, I just wanted a chance to go over the finalised list before sending it off. Most of the suggestions I made weren't for my own interest - Infact i'd have to even buy a few titles towards this to get the award from removing ones which I have like Kingdom Hearts. I just want the Award to focus on the diveristy of PlayStation, which is what most of my tweaks were about.I think it's just good to talk it over now before it is set in stone and make sure we are all happy with it   I didn't make suggestions to subtract from where we're at, but to enhance it, as I really want this to be a bigger feature on the site and see this award being very appealing. I looked at the list for a good hour last night and really thought it through and gave geniune reasons to the changes, re-read for consideration if you may.

The PlayStation was known for it's JRPG's yes but in the PS3 generation it was considerably lacking. At the start of the generation most JRPGs were actually on 360 - Much to my anger. While many have played games like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Persona, I don't think mnany have been open to Suikoden - which sadly hasn't been very active since the PS2 days. Also, Suikoden is kind of rare/uncommon, it jsut seems like a title which many could slip up on and missout from - moe so than the others anyway. Call of Duty has never really been an exclusive, KillZone & Resistance are though and both series are very competent to take part in the award.

As for Kingdom Hearts III, I'm still not sure if it is an exclsuive, previous trailers have had Xbox logos on it - Though considering Xbox One never got any of the HD ReMixes including the prologue in 2.8, I feel it will be dropped. Still I think Kingdom Hearts as much as I love it isn't a good choice through all the Canon story parts of the GBA, DS & 3DS games, until very recetnly with the HD Remix Collections if you didn't have all them consoles you couldnt follow the series at all, even Kingdom Hearts II was confusing if you never played Chain of Memories inbetween.

Quantic Dream has been a huge supporter to PlayStation since Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain was one of the biggest titles on the PS3 & breakthrough to realisim presented in games. QD are still showing their support PS with Detroit as an exclusive on PS4, so I 'd say the inclusion of them is very important.

My main intention is to work with you and others on the fourm iron this list out till its perfected and really something we all agree on, I don't think it is far off but felt them suggestions were needed.

May 09 at 10:08:29 AM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
I know this hasnt moved in a few days and its mostly cause I was trying to think about how to do it. I had this up here for weeks and only had a small number of replies so I didnt see too many people showing interest. 10 of the 15 posts on here are you and myself.

I wouldnt want to drop Kingdom hearts for Gravity rush. Its a new series with only two titles (both only on the newest consoles) and not really something that screams playstation to me. Kingdom hearts on the other hand is one of the most wanted and played series in the world. I know its not exclusive but its now fully available on Playstation with the upcoming title most likely going to be PS only.

I would be okay with removing Suikoden and swapping it with WipEout or InFamous. I dont consider Killzone or Resistance viable. Ive worked at Gamestop for a year and never once did anyone ever ask for either but every day almost was a "Do you have random CoD title?" call. For that alone, I would actually prefer to add Call of Duty.

Quantic dream seems to be mostly a UK based company. In the states here we only got 2 games on the PS3.

Here is where I would be :
Swap Suikoden for WipEout
Add Call of Duty and InFamous

May 09 at 11:30:11 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
While I do have problems with Kingdom Hearts, I'm willing to overlook it as the series has fixed itself with the ReMix versions on PlayStation - Though in many other Complete Series lists I know HD Re-release are not vaild.

We can drop Quantic Dream titles, but I think Team ICO is a biggie.

I do have a problem with CoD though, this is not a personal distaste for the series but I do not see the series as a PlayStation franchsie at all. The series lingers on whatever console is succesful at the time. I remember when CoD Modern Warfafre was released and the 360 was the more succesful console on the market, the majority of people here in the UK just had a console for CoD & Fifa, it's never been a series that people got a PlayStation for and I must disgree with this for the listing.

Swapping Suikoden for Wipeout seems a good option, Had Suikoden been more active and had say a 6th title on PS4 i'd of reconsidered but the series is dead and rare and I just see it being a thorn in peoples side for the award.

The thing with InFamous really was a compromise to keep Sucker Punch in the listings and remove Sly - Because the list already has a lot of Platform mascots. I don't know about both

So far the confirmed list is (20):
Spyro
SOCOM
God of War
Crash
Grand Theft Auto
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Ratchet and Clank
Tekken
Final Fantasy
Gran Turismo
Uncharted
Twisted Metal
Yakuza
SMT/Persona
Wipeout
Little Big Planet
Kingdom Hearts

Series in Question:
Ridge Racer
Soul Blade/Calibur Series
Dark Souls
Sly Cooper
inFamous
Jak and Daxter
Call of Duty
Gravity Rush
Team Ico
Devil May Cry
Resistance
KillZone
Suikoden
Ace Combat

I think thats about where we are at the moment, If you asked me for the next 5 placements I'd say
KillZone or Resistance - The biggest FPS's on PlayStation unless anyone has another suggestion - I want to Scream TimeSplitters but I jsut don't think it's right.
InFamous or Sly Cooper - Sucker Punch should be represented, jsut not sure on both
Team Ico - ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last guardian have been big titles for PlayStation, I think this is a must.
Onimusha - big for the days of PS2, I was thinking Devil May Cry but they're all Xbox now too.
Not sure on the last one, open for suggestions from everyone of course  

May 09 at 12:32:48 PM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
I hate Call of Duty. Ill start with that now. But to deny its existence as a series is difficult. There is such an audience for it that Sony made 2-3 different console bundles with it, one of them being a uniquely designed system and controller. Before you mentioned them, I had only heard of KillZone and never really heard of Resistance. I know CoD isnt exclusive ... but exclusivity can not be the main reason to pick them over what is arguably one of the biggest selling franchises in gaming history.

The Kingdom hearts thing in this doesnt matter which version of any game it is. Its not about being the ultimate KH fan, its just about supporting the series on Playstation so any of the games work for that.

Ill bend on the Sly vs InFamous. It works in my favor anyhow   But I can honestly say that InFamous is probably a bit more well known than Sly anyhow.

I would love to include the ICO stuff but its titles, not developers. Which means we would have to just pick one of the games. I would personally go with Last Guardian but that means only people that own a specific PS4 title would qualify for this award. In the same boat, if we pick one of the other two games, that means someone would have to own a specific PS3 title to qualify. I really would not want to make this an option. I know they are big titles ... but single titles.

As far as a final list, I would go with these last 5 -
Call of Duty
InFamous
Devil May Cry
Dark Souls
Soul/Caliber series

May 09 at 1:01:50 PM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
I just thought of another series that would work. Assassin's creed.

May 09 at 1:56:46 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
We'll add InFamous then   - If we're to indecisive maybe Sly too  

Not to go into spoilers but the Team ICO games are linked as a series, I'll say no more  

I'm still not won over CoD, I'm not denying it is a huge franchise, but it is not a franchise I'd really associate with PlayStation, it was on PlayStation but like with Assassins Creed all the titles are multi-platform.

As for the notion that we might be cutting out people who only have PS4's I don't see that as an issue, because the notion of this award is to spread across all PS consoles. But The PS4 doesn't really have any stand alone franchises that have launched through it - Even Gravity Rush was from Vita to PS4.

Dark Souls is a Multi-platform series, with only Demons Souls being a PS exclusive, so I am not sure on that.

Problem with Soul Calibur is that SC1 went to Dreamcast as an exclusive which was a big deal, returned multi-platform with SC2 - Where each version had a unique character. Then SC3 was PS2 exclusive, the PSP game was too but I don't even know if that was canon like Tekken 3D or Advance.

Devil May Cry I'm 50/50 on too, it was big in the PS2 days but then 4 was on multiplatform and now with these reboot I just don't know where the series stands.

So far the confirmed list is (21):
Spyro
SOCOM
God of War
Crash
Grand Theft Auto
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Ratchet and Clank
Tekken
Final Fantasy
Gran Turismo
Uncharted
Twisted Metal
Yakuza
SMT/Persona
Wipeout
Little Big Planet
Kingdom Hearts
InFamous

Edited: 05/09/2017 at 01:57 PM by Vivi-gamer

May 09 at 7:56:00 PM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
If you are dead-set on a different fps, I would go with KillZone over Resistance. KillZone's life span is 2004 to 2013. Resistance is 2006 to 2012. KillZone also has 2 more consoles it made it to.

I was only worried about single consoles for the Ico games. If we dont add those, it wouldnt be an issue. Im not sure if we could just add "Ico series". I mean I guess its feasible. For that set, you would need one of those games.

So that would make 23 with the addition of KillZone and Ico series. Meaning Im still pushing for a CoD/Assassins Creed addition and something else. Devil May Cry I guess.

May 10 at 2:05:08 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I think we need on FPS & can't think of anything Exclsuive-ish to PlayStation beyond them two - If anyone else has any ideas feel free to shout  

As for CoD/AC, I just don't feel they're PlayStation titles, putting them on that list seems wrong, while many people experienced them on PlayStation, they've just neevr really stood out as PlayStation being THE palce to go for them - However a series award focusing on them would be a very interesting one.

Devil May Cry I am still a little discouraged by, I still think that is due to the series being in a werd state rigth now but I guess we could put it in.

Looking at the list, we have one more title...  

We Could add back Sly, thats the best option I can think of right now. I do admit though it does feel off not having Jak in there too, but that is a LOT of platformers... and that list is looking tight, thinking on that for now.

So far the confirmed list is (24):
Spyro
SOCOM
God of War
Crash
Grand Theft Auto
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Ratchet and Clank
Tekken
Final Fantasy
Gran Turismo
Uncharted
Twisted Metal
Yakuza
SMT/Persona
Wipeout
Little Big Planet
Kingdom Hearts
InFamous
KillZone
Team ICO Series (ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian)
Devil May Cry

May 10 at 3:37:39 PM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
We could just go with 24.

May 10 at 3:49:24 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Seems anti-climatic though  

May 10 at 3:52:20 PM
hammerfestus (7)
< Kratos >
Ohio
If we need a 25th I still think you leave Suikoden series in there. The ones on ps1 were a true testament to how expansive and deep a 2D jrpg could be. The ones on ps2 were great as well and I think did a pretty great job of capturing that feeling on the new hardware. I think among jrpg enthusiasts it's rightly become a pretty admired series.

Since this award only requires one entry from each series, I don't think the prohibitive price point of 2 or increasingly 5 should come into play. The rest of the series can be had at very reasonable prices.

May 10 at 4:02:04 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Looking online I can see the prices are more agreeable in the US, I t hink we can add that then  

So is that our 25?!

Any last minute discrepancies before we commit to the vow  

Spyro
SOCOM
God of War
Crash
Grand Theft Auto
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Ratchet and Clank
Tekken
Final Fantasy
Gran Turismo
Uncharted
Twisted Metal
Yakuza
SMT/Persona
Wipeout
Little Big Planet
Kingdom Hearts
InFamous
KillZone
Team ICO Series (ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian)
Devil May Cry
Suikoden